Nov 6, 2019
We interview a munch organizer and field audience questions at
the Close In munch in Portland, Oregon
0:00 Introduction and host
- If you’re under 18, visit scarletteen.com
- We’re at the Close In munch in Portland, Oregon!
2:00 Interview with Close In
munch organizer Hannah
Lessons learned include:
- poly and kinky people are everywhere
- it’s important to destigmatize a stigmatized group
- “Square up; what you want is fine; fuck ‘em all!”
9:00 Poly Weekly
- What advice would you give to solo polys?
- 12:45 How to come out to folks who aren’t familiar with poly?
- Anticipate questions, be prepared, be calm, don’t take it
personally, give them a year to freak out
- Folks will match your tone, so adopt one of calm, easy
- 16:00 How has poly changed in the last 14 years?
- 17:45 And now there are terms for everything!
- 19:05 How do I bring up the birth control discussion?
- Be brave and bring it up. Or leave a birth control pamphlet in
the toilet for leisure reading! J
- Use regular relationship check ins as a space to bring up any
- 22:15 What is your take on hierarchies?
- If it works for everyone involved and it’s transparent, fine.
But it doesn’t work for everyone (or me).
- The challenge with hierarchies is that it sets up a permission
- Be aware if you are talking about power structure or
entanglement levels? If the latter, “nesting partner” might be more
useful than “primary.”
- 26:15 My mom thinks my polyamory is a phase. Do you know folks
who have lived out their lives as poly?
Gabosch, Oberon Zell-Ravenhart, and many others.
- Just as with child-rearing, having an extended network to help
you in your old age is valuable.
31:15 Contact us
Questions? Comments? Feedback? Email email@example.com and
attach an audio comment or call the listener comment line at
802-505-POLY. If you want us to teach a class at
your event, want us to coach you, or want to appear on the podcast,
32:00 Thank you to our
subscribers and contributors
Thanks to Pacemaker
Jane for letting us use their song Good
Suspicions as our intro and outro music and to you for
listening and sharing.